Tuesday, August 09, 2005

If I were in charge...

One of the reasons for this blog is the authors' respect for the smooth operation of the very complicated transit systems in NY and DC. The over 106 miles of track and 86 station in the DC area and the 840 miles of track and 468 stations in New York City are truly a remarkable feat and usually run very efficiently. However, there are always those little things that make me wonder..."What are these idiots thinking." That is when I am full of ideas for the MTA.

Last Saturday night I was trying to get from downtown Brooklyn to the Upper East Side. I decided to walk to the Borough Hall Station. One of the two central hubs in Brooklyn (8 trains stop there). I wanted to take one of the two Lexington Avenue express trains that stop at the station. As I approached the turnstile a hand-written sign read : No 4 or 5 Service. I had to walk about 50 feet to a big wall with a bunch of red and white paper signs marked: Service Advisories on it. I found the one that said "No 4 service between Brooklyn Bridge and Franklin Ave" and looked to see my alternative to getting to the UES. It said to take the J to Chambers Street. Now, I don't frequent the Borough Hall station that often, but I know that the J train does NOT go into Brooklyn. But, I followed the red and white paper signs pointing me to the J train. I walked past the 4, 5 platform--no trains running; the 2,3 platform--no trains running and eventually entered the Court Street station (which is connected underground to the Borough Hall station) and waited for the J train. When it finally came I got on and exited at Chambers Street like the paper signs instructed and went to the 4,5,6 platform. And to my surprise a 4 train came rolling down the local track. Do I take it, do I wait for an express 4? I quickly looked for a red and white paper sign to instruct me. None. I got on. I least I would be going in the right direction and could always transfer to an express train if we met one. Well, that never happened. The 4 trains were running local. I found out when my 4 train passed 14th Street-Union Square. There were red and white paper signs stating there was no 4 express service.

Now, what would I have done if I were in charge for the day? First, I wouldn't have been doing construction on every single train line on the same day. Second, why was the "J train" the alternative to the 4 when it could have been the M train--since it runs there anyway. Why confuse people. Third, why not call the 4 local train the 6 train? If it looks like a 6, stops like a 6 and runs on the 6 track, it must be a duck, I mean 6.

Now, I am sure there is a good reason for all of that, but it is just not apparent to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home